CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Heavy Sleeper

Question for anyone out there.....

Is your child potty trained? If so, are they potty trained through the night?  If so.....at what age were they able to wake up out of their sleep and go to the bathroom and back to bed on their own?

Breanna will be 5 in January.  She is pretty much accident free at night (hallelujah), but this is only b/c I nightly wake her up and bring her to the bathroom and back.  She does NOT wake up if I do not get her up.  She will just wet the bed and sleep through it.

Also, when I wake her up she doesn't really wake up.  She tries to go back to sleep on the floor, she'll run into doors/walls if I do not direct her to the bathroom and help her through the process. If I pull down her bottoms, she pulls them back up and tries to leave the bathroom.  She tries to get in her brother's bed.  She goes the wrong direction, goes to the wrong room, etc.....

It's actually quite hilarious and cute, but just wondering if anyone has experience with this and what they did to help teach their child to wake up and SAFELY walk to the bathroom and back on their own.  (And at what age!)

Fun times :)

4 comments:

The Stradling Family said...

Brooke,
I have some experience with this if you want some advice. Email me kellestradling@gmail.com.

natalie said...

hahaha! That is so funny & cute how out of it she is. I have no suggestions. I got lucky and both my kids figured out the night time thing at the same time as the day time. It wasn't anything I did though!

Michal Thompson said...

You are putting too much work into it. My 5 year old is still wearing pull ups. My oldest wore them for a long time, suddenly it clicked on it's own.

Laura McGee said...

my sister had the same problem with her 3rd kid. He was still wetting each night in pull ups when he entered kindergarten. she was told to buy an alarm thing. she couldnt remember the name, google "bed wetting alarm" it clips on them and when it gets wet it goes off and wakes them up. She said in one week her son stopped. She said it helps their body realize to wake up. Her son hated wearing it and she thinks that is another big contributer of him only needing it for a week before he stopped.
She also said that since some kids are such heavy sleepers their body just doesnt realize the need to go potty. This alarm thing can help them train their brain to wake up when they feel the need.