CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 1 of our "No spend month"

I saw this idea to do a "No spend month" on pinterest.  So, the timing is perfect.....one month exactly from today we are boarding a week long cruise.  What a perfect ending and reward to a "No spend month," right???

Here's the link to the blog:

http://smallnotebook.org/2012/07/01/no-spend-month-start-here/


So we aren't going to use our credit cards for the month.  We will only pay our bills (mortgage, utilities, health/car/life insurance, etc.)  and then we still need to decide on a set amount of cash for "everything else" for the month.

This way we pay for our gas, food, and anything else out of this set amount and cannot go over.  Obviously we will pay for the gas in Rob's truck and too and from work out of our "bills" b/c those are non-negotiable.

Usually our grocery budget for the month is about $500.  So I was thinking to have the whole budget for EVERYTHING be $500 for the month.  Basically that means we don't eat out at all.  We don't buy anything extra or unnecessary, only the things we need for the month for $500.  I already have enough formula for the month, so that is kinda cheating b/c I will have to spend extra on it next month, but I think it will be a really good experiment for us to CURB OUR SPENDING :)

"No Spend Month is a chance to take a break from buying stuff. It’s like boot camp for your budget, but it’s not actually about the money. Personally, I like the opportunity to practice self discipline and to really appreciate what we have.

What’s amazing is how much free time you discover when you stop looking for the next thing you can buy that might improve your home, appearance, and productivity.

In past years we’ve found ways to save money that have impacted us ever since."

I am excited to see how this affects our family.

The first thing that I noticed was that Rob left his credit cards at our house this morning, and debit card, so that he can't spend today at work! Great job Rob!

I am putting this on my blog to give us some accountability.  Hopefully it will help us to be successful with the project.

1 comments:

Michelle & Todd said...

I have been trying to do this to a certain degree since the 9th. The only thing I have bought "unneccesary" is squinkies for Pax for the toilet. So kind of need them still. I even didn't go to a park we were planning on going to because it's 30 min. away and gas is like $4 a gallon now. And I have only been to the grocery store once and spent $4. We can do this together! It feels good not spending.