CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Is this just because she's 2????

Does anyone else have a child that chooses to be miserable about life? It's been 2 rough days with Breanna. I love her to death, but at this moment she is driving me nuts. She is arguing and crying about EVERYTHING. Starting this morning all of these things have caused tantrums:

*She didn't want to close the door
*She didn't want the water that she had asked for that I got her
*She didn't want to get dressed
*She didn't want to go see trains (Apparently it's National train day so I took her to the train station)
*She didn't want to go the park
*There were no swings at the park
*She wanted me to come on the slide and I didn't
*She wanted to crash someone's birthday party at the park pavillion
*She didn't want to play anymore
*She didn't want to leave the park even though she wasn't playing
*She now will not get out of the car because she wants to go back to the park :) (Don't worry I am not neglecting her, I can see her, have the car door open, my front door open and am right by the window)

It's 12:46, I have nap time for her right after we eat lunch, which we can do once she decides to stop fussing and come inside. I will get a break from her during naptime, thank goodness, but this has been her attitude lately, not just today. Yesterday was just as bad or worse.

Yesterday:

*She didn't want to share
*She didn't want to eat
*She wants to be carried around everywhere
*She wants to eat candy instead of food
*She didn't want to play outside
*She wanted to be held outside
*She didn't want to go get the mail with me
*She tries to yell at me
*She crawls around like a baby, tries to talk like a baby, act like a baby (i think she knows the baby is coming and is reacting to that)

She has spent A LOT of time in time out lately and just being miserable even though I'm doing everything I can to have fun days with her.

Any suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated! Is this normal? Should I just ignore it like it's a phase? If it's not normal, how do I change it, b/c I'm trying to be a good mom, but EVERYTHING causes a tantrum.

6 comments:

Amy Nelson said...

Tyler did that for awhile. It was frustrating. Check to see if she's teething molars or something. Good luck!

m@R(! said...

oh man! i think it is just a stage 2 year olds go through. Right now kinley is being a little sweet heart but a few weeks back I wanted to cry whenever she woke up in the morning. plus she doesn't take many naps. hahaha.
All ya have to do is endure and remember ALL her good qualities!

natalie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose 2 yr old is the boss! :/
I went to a seminar by Jane Nelsen and loved what she had to say. I bought her books and have just picked them back up again. She believes in positive discipline. Check out
http://www.positivediscipline.com/
I highly recommend investing in a book of hers! I bought the one for kids age 0-3, but there is also a book called Positive Time Out that I need to buy.
I've got more book suggestions by different authors if you're interested, but she is my favorite.

natalie said...

Oh and I really have no idea if this helps, but a friend told me it worked with her kids so I did it with Bryn and it seemed to work:
When I was pregnant, I told Bryn that she was going to have a baby sister and that the sister was HERS. I hardly ever said "mommy's having a baby." I usually said, "you're going to have a baby." Now that Isabel is here if I can't do something with B because I'm busy with Isa then I try not to blame Isabel. I'll say, "i'm too tired" or "i can't right now but I will in a minute." instead of "I'm feeding Isabel." She still gets jealous sometimes, which is understandable, but for the most part she loves her little sister.

Marie Martin said...

You ARE a good mom. You are patient and kind and very good to Breanna. However, sometimes when women are pregnant, they may be a little more tired or sensitive than usual (I say that from personal experience cuz I was horribly cranky!), so it's probably tougher to deal with an irrational child right now. :) Sometimes the best thing to do is not to react. Get up and leave the room, find a chore to do, continue doing whatever you were doing without acknowledging her meltdowns, etc., so it doesn't reinforce the behavior. Plus, its helpful to you to just be away from her for a while. She might even come find you to continue the meltdown (which always cracked me up) but just keep acting unfazed even if you want to rip your hair out. It will pass and you probably won't even remember it, but it's hard to see that now. Good luck. ~Marie

Ashley C said...

I dont have suggestions, but Paige is the same way. She's so funny at this stage, but she drives me crazy. Its rough.