CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

4 Months





Well Ethan is 8 days away from 5 months old, but I just had his 4 month check up today! He did very well and Breanna was excellent throughout the whole appt.....yeah!

Stats:
Height: 26 1/2 inches = 75th percentile
Weight: 14 lbs. 11 oz. = 75th percentile
Head: 42 cm. = 50th percentile

*He rolls from tummy to back
*He's NOT sleeping well at night (we're working on that) he wakes up every 3 hours and multiple times before I go to sleep. He's learned that mommy is a better pacifier then a real pacifier :) Dr. said he should be sleeping at least 6-8 hours (made me motivated and feel better about helping him get used to falling back to sleep on his own.)
*He has 2 bottom teeth ready to break through...we'll see when it happens
*He really likes being held
*He's a momma's boy, clings onto me when I hold him
*Happy baby 90% of the time, yeah!
*Loves his sister, he will crack up laughing at her and then I'll try to do the same thing and I just get a smile :)
*He has discovered his feet.....hands and feet are ALWAYS in his mouth
*He's drooly, but not too bad
*Learned a high pitched horrible scream, which gets me running to him, but it's just to get attention!
*Loves grabbing things, trying to grab hair, toys, anything that gets close to him

Question.........does anyone else feel super pressured at their doctor appointments about vaccines???? I felt VERY pressured today when I declined the rotavirus vaccine. It is a live vaccine and since my dad had a bone marrow transplant he can't be around anyone who has just had a live vaccine, well we're going there on Dec. 15th and staying at their house. I told my Dr. this and she proceeded to say, oh it should be fine, not a big deal, blah, blah, blah and tried to convince me to get it for Ethan. I wanted him to have it, but I WILL NOT RISK MY DAD'S HEALTH!!!! I told them this and she tried to make me feel it wasn't a big deal and my dad would be fine. Not cool.

Last time I also told Rob the limit on shots for Ethan was 3 and they tried to convince him to get 4 b/c one was oral. I had said 3 only, he had it written down and said 3 only, what don't you understand about my wishes and concerns for my child. Personally I think 3 shots is ALOT to give a 2 month old baby. Yes, it's safe blah, blah, blah, I don't care, they are so little and don't need all those shots right then. They can have them spaced out. I have 5 years to get all his shots before kindergarten. Why do I feel that I'm doing something wrong when I ask to limit my baby's shots? Or protect the risk of the live vaccine to my dad?

Anyone else feel this pressure, or is just my Dr.? I am definitely thinking of switching pediatricians and just want to know if this is a silly reason to switch or if all Dr.s are like this and I should stick with her.
Besides this, it was a good appointment :)

2 comments:

natalie said...

I highly recommend that you SWITCH DOCTORS RIGHT NOW!!!
I am so mad at your dr. right now! I can't believe s/he
1. tried to pressure you into something you obviously weren't comfortable with
2. totally disregarded your concerns
3. acted like you are some dumb mom and she is the all knowledgeable doctor
4. advised you to do something that would put your dad's health at risk!!!!!

Unfortunately there are a lot of doctors like this. You need to find someone who you feel like is on your team trying to help you do what is best for your family.
good luck!

Leahona said...

I am so sorry you went through that. When we were prego with Isabella we interviewed dr's. The 2 main questions we asked were about vaccines and antibiotics.

Our Dr is really good about spacing out shots. Iyla is a bit behind still because like you, I only let her get 2 to 3 shots/oral at a time. I firmly beleive that your relationship with your ped DR is a partnership between the parents and the dr office. I have seen mom's switch offices over how nurses act. If everyone is not on the same page in regards to your children's health then I would suggest switching. I just wish my Dr was taking new patiants because she is awesome! Next time I see you we can talk about this some more. I think you are a great mom and you should follow your gut!!