CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Prayers Please

I just wanted to ask for prayers. Please pray for my friend Megan Smith. She is a friend from BYU Hawaii and was in our married student ward. She was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia on July 12th, right after giving birth to her first baby (a girl!). Then they found out she also had pneumonia. She took a turn for the worse with her Pneumonia and had to be transfered to the ICU. She was not able to get enough oxygen so they had to put her on a breathing machine and then in a Drug Induced Acoma. Unfortunately they say she will be in that coma for another month. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.





Here is a little background info on what has been going on...... (WRITTEN BY HER HUSBAND RYAN SMITH)

Sunday night Megan woke me up at 2 am saying that she thought her water had broken. So we checked and sure enough, time for delivery was near. We went to the hospital and got settled in for a big day. When it was about time for the epidural the doctors did a CBC (complete blood count) and found some abnormalities in the white blood count. Instead of a normal 5 - 10k it was around 40k. We found this odd because she just 2 weeks ago she had a full workup of blood and everything was perfectly normal, she was perfectly healthy as she always has been.

After the test was performed in triplicate and sent all around NY to be verified by pathologists, hematologists and a ton of other specialties I have never heard of I started to quickly catch on the apparent seriousness of the issue. The doctors were not positive but had serious suspicions about what was happening. During this Megan was fighting through a good long labor with her epidural not working (poor girl). They were able to get it working before she started the pushing and it is a good thing because she pushed for over 3 hours. After all of that at around 10 pm a perfect little girl was born and to my amazement she came out with no distortions, blotches or imperfection of any kind.... amazing.... She weighed 7 pounds 3 ounces and was 21.5 inches long. We gave her the name Rylee Hannah Smith : )

Due to the seriousness of the situation the doctors would not let megan rest, even after my appeals to let just sleep through one night, after only being able to hold the baby Megan was rushed off to the Roswell Cancer Institute in an ambulance. That night they performed countless tests including things like bone marrow biopsies...

After all of this they found that Megan has AML which is Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Even after probably the most difficult 2 days i could ever imagine anyone going through, Megan has the best attitude ever and i think i am safe to say she is already the most popular person in the entire Leukemia wing of the hospital.

She is cute to begin with but the more drugs they give her she cuter she gets!

Megan is awesome and she has a long road ahead and that is why I made this page so that she can see the tremendous support out there for her. I will do my best to do as many updates about her as I can but she will be i treatment for the next year and this first stretch of chemotherapy and treatment will leave her in the hospital for the next month and half.

I really appreciate everyones support and I am sorry if i have not kept everyone as informed as i should

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love Megan!! I will for sure keep her in my prayers and thoughts! She is SO strong...I KNOW she'll get through this.

Ashley C said...

Oh my gosh, poor girl! And right after she had a baby. I remember her from BYUH. I will definitely be praying for her and her cute little family. That is just so sad.